But what about all this rain, you may ask? Yes, it does put a damper on things but there’s no reason you can’t still enjoy the dog-friendly events on the schedule.
Here are some tips to help you navigate a dog event when rain is in the forecast:
- Be prepared. We all know it’s going to rain this weekend; we just don’t know exactly when or where. So, make sure to wear sensible shoes and a raincoat and bring an umbrella, a few towels, and some baby wipes so you can clean off a bit before you and your dog get back in your car. And just accept that you’re going to get a little wet and muddy and may need to change clothes when you’re done partying it up with your pets.
- Wet hair, don’t care? Awesome! If you don’t mind a little mud and rain, then it’s a great time to let your dogs let loose and get dirty. (Like this guy.) Just remember, not everyone is cool with muddy paws so make sure Fido doesn’t get so excited that he forgets his manners and jumps up on another event guest.
- Leave your dog at home and take the party inside! If muddy paws or shoes, frizzy hair, or general humidity make you want to just stay home and binge on Netflix (also not a bad idea), look for an indoor event to enjoy. The Want Ink? fundraiser and Paint Your Pet event are both indoors. And you can still donate at all the Yappy Hours and enjoy your beverage inside – just remember that most bars don’t allow dogs indoors. (Except Lakewood Growler on Mockingbird Lane – since they don’t serve food, dogs are allowed inside!
- If your dog is scared of thunderstorms, please leave him at home. I have a rain-phobic dog who is legit scared of thunder, and it would terrify him to be outside when a downpour hits. Better to just leave him at home, turn the TV or radio up, and leave a few of your t-shirts near his bed to help keep him calm.
- No leaving the dog in the car. The heat and humidity in a car can still reach deadly temperatures, even if it’s raining. Most people will want to roll their windows all the way up in the rain so it’s not a good place for your dog to wait while you’re enjoying yourself indoors.
There are some amazing events happening this weekend, so if a little rain doesn’t faze you, go out and enjoy!